Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Imperially Dogged

I just sent out for The Imperial Dogs Live! At Long Beach (October 30, 1974) DVD featuring This Ain't the Summer of Love... Look for a review in a few weeks, or as soon as I receive it. Don Waller, the frontman for the band is very genuine and surprisingly accesible... Not a quality one would expect from a person who headed one of the prominent bands that carved a niche into the 70's pre-punk rock world.

I remember an incident I had in Austin Texas in  '98. I had been watching Robyn Hitchcock play a set at the Austin Music Hall, and was milling around in the lobby, filling in time between acts. It was the South by SouthWest Music Conference, and the line-up was unorthodox, as I remember. It seems to me that Robyn Hitchcock played, followed by Nanci Griffith, and then Jerry Jeff Walker... As I stood in the lobby between the sets of Nanci Griffith and Jerry Jeff Walker I suddenly came face to face with Robyn Hitchcock.

"Mr. Hitchcock," I said, "Great set! Would you mind posing for a photograph?"

Robyn Hitchcock stopped in his tracks, looked at me for a second, and then in his strong British accent said,

"Hell no! I hate fucking photographers. I would just assume punch you in the face if you take my picture."

I was so stunned that I just paused... And of course Robyn Hitchcock slipped away into the crowd.

So yeah... That is just one example of run-ins I have had with famous musicians, and it comes to mind as the only one that really didn't go as I would have hoped. That being said, it's nice to have that correspondance with Don Waller, who actually was a pioneer in his craft. His situation is unusual, because he came to me personally and left messages on this blog after I had written a post expressing my desire to hear his band. With that kind of integrity, of course I put out the twenty-four dollars to purchase his DVD. It comes with rave reviews, and is generating quite a stir of curiosity in the vortex that is my mind. I will anxiously await it's arrival in my mailbox... If you are a fan of the 70's punk and pre-punk genre' you should strongly consider making that purchase yourself. I hear that it is well worth the price and effort.

And if your name is Robyn Hitchcock, and YOU happen to be reading this blog... Yeah. Go FUCK yourself.



Anonymous said...

.... wow, how fucking rude..... you should have cussed the bastard....