Monday, January 4, 2010

2010: An Ice Odyssey

I haven't been much up for writing lately... A little bit of reading... But not much for writing. Here it is the 4th day of the new year, and I haven't even wished my wonderful readers a Happy New Year yet.

2010 came in pretty much as I had planned... Intoxicated with friends. This was the first New Years Eve in several years where I wasn't hanging out with my daughter, and Essie and I took full advantage of it by inviting some friends over for a beer-soaked good time. I remained sober for most of the past 5 or 6 New Years' Eves, but after a heavy work load during the week leading up to this one, and because of long work hours during and after the holiday season, I was ready to let it everything out. Beer was tasting mighty delicious, and when I get that taste, albeit rare in this ripe old age of 42... Watch out.

I think I speak for Essie and our friends when I say that we all definitely had fun bringing in the New Year. It was great until I fell asleep at about 2:30, and even a few hours after that. Since then it's been pretty much downhill.

I was rudely awakened at 6:15 on New Years Day by my alarm to be at work by 7:00. What a horrible feeling that was. I am so happy to be at that age where I am beyond living that lifestyle... I was beyond tired all of Friday, and for most of the weekend. Thank goodness I had today off... The first day in the new year that I woke up with a sense of normalcy to my waking life. All weekend long I dealt with pitfalls... Frozen pipes (luckily no breaks)... A dead car battery, and the driest winter air since the freezing of Niagra Falls during the Ice Age.

Seriously... How can there be 10 feet of snow and ice on the ground and yet the air be so dry? It's like the water in the air has turned into vermouth, and the mountains of snow have sucked up all of the humidity. Shouldn't there be some kind of natural law that states that when there is 10 feet of snow (water) on the ground, there has to be some humidity in the air also? Obviously, as in the desert heat, a dry temperature means EXTREME temperature... Whether it's hot or cold.

I love Iowa (I really do), but Holy Jesus I would give anything to be in the Florida Keys right now.

Happy New Year everybody.

1 comment:

Ginger Russ said...

It only got up to 73 degrees out today in AZ, but you know, I can't complain.