Monday, April 25, 2011

The Big 4-Empire Polo Club- Indio, CA 4/23/11


This is a big fuckin' deal. All 4 Legendary bands for the first time in America. Sadly the only date and it was 2 hours away but I had to go. It had to be here. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth got their start here which made California home of Thrash. It was at some big ass field were they host Cochella for Indie Art fruits. I only paid $15 for my ticket while the rest paid $100 (sucka!). My ticket hadn't came in the mail so my buddy went to the post office in the morning to get it. He woke my ass up and I got ready right away. We were supposed to jam at 10 am but didn't leave 'til 12. It was a 2 hour drive and me and my boys were making fun of billboard signs, checking out hot chicks,and cranking Death Metal. As soon as we got of the ramp the whole fuckin city was traffic. After an hour our ladies in car #2 told us about a shortcut. Thank Satan we did it or else I would've missed Anthrax. We finally found parking. Me and main homie left to go right away. While the other followed Thrash tradition and got wasted like they do at every show and ended up missing half the show. We tried to make our way to the front.

After watching people leave their cars to pee on the sidewalk(like my friends) and getting insulted by stupid tough guy brothas it was time for Anthrax. This was the band I really wanted to see for many reasons... They had just reunited with their best singer Joey Belladonna last year. They were my first and one of my favorite Thrash/Metal bands since forever. And I've been wanting to see them live since I was still oh so punk rock. We tried hard for the first 3 songs to go up front. Bad fuckin idea! It was so crowded and people were pushing for their lives. When we did get near to the rail we couldn't fuckin see them! It was better when I was 2 songs ago and they looked like ants. Unfortunately you had to get the VIP tickets to see em upfront. Fuckin Bullshit. Anthrax honestly did an OK set but since it was my first time I loved it. They played great songs but they haven't changed their set lists since they reunited. That's lame. Im hoping to see them headline a show soon so I can get a 100% Anthrax. If your an Anthrax virgin listen to Spreading The Disease now. Seeing Anthrax for the first time was badass.  But to quote guitarist Scot Ian..."NOT!". I will enjoy them eventually.

SET:
Caught in a Mosh
Got the Time
Madhouse
Among the Living
Antisocial
Indians
Fight 'Em Till You Can't
A.I.R.
I Am the Law

Anthrax

Megadeth was next. And after walking out of the mess I was just in ee and my buddy ran to drink a $6 frozen lemonade. And then I saw some dude wearing a Santo lucha mask so I hugged him. We sat on a hill and found a few friends. We saw Megadeth from a long ass way and they started with the song "Trust". Already I was like "Wha da fock!". The set seemed to get better n' better but I wasn't feeling as I was when I saw 'em last fall when they played the whole Rust In Peace (Get it you MegaVirgin!) album.Of course I sang and head banged to "Head Crusher" and "Peace Sells", but they were the weakest band on this day. Big points to Dave for finally making "Peace Sells/Holy Wars" separate songs and not playing it twice. But it was just a bad day for 'em.

Set:
Trust
In My Darkest Hour
Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
Poison Was The Cure
She Wolf
Sweating Bullets
Headcrusher
A Toute Le Monde
Symphony Of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars


Megadeth
My favorite from the 4 was next. Fuckin' Slayer. They started and me and buddy were at the same spot we were for Megadeth. We said "fuck that" and tried to get some what closer. After moving and moving I found a perfect spot. They started with "World Painted Blood" and I was pumped. I kept yelling and screaming a long to songs I've never heard live. New and old. From "Anti-Christ" to "Payback". Slayer is just a band that you have to see live every fucking time they come. Guitarist Jeff Hannemen had to call in sick for a couple of months because he got some nasty disease from a spider bite. But who better to replace him then Gary Holt from Exodus! Jeff ended up doing some work and at the end Slayer just kicked everyone's ass. You've haven't seen 'em live you have to if you have at least one ball. If your a virgin to them,then kill yourself but listen to Reign in Blood first.

FUCKIN' SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

SET:
World Painted Blood
Hate World Wide
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Dead Skin Mask
Americon
Silent Scream
Anti-Christ
Seasons in the Abyss
Payback
Snuff
South of Heaven
Angel of Death



We took a break, I sat my ass down 'cause my boots were killing me. Slayer had ended right at sundown so the night belonged to Metallica. Everyone got up front for this. Lights turned off and they showed the scene from Ecstasy of Gold. Right away a little tear came out and my jaw dropped. Holy fuck I was in for a treat! Everyone had their horns up. They started with "Creeping Death". Great song but I would've picked another song to open with. Then I head banged my ass off windmill style when they started "For Whom The Bells Toll". Yelling and dancing along... I seriously had a spiritual awakening. They played "Fuel" and It kinda went away for a second. Then it came back with "Ride The Lightning" and "Fade To Black". Never have I been so amazed at a show. I felt like I was 9 years old again hearing "Enter Sandman" for the first time. Then two new songs which were ok but I'd rather hear more old stuff. then they did something to shock the whole fuckin place. They played their instrumental song "Orion". Right away my friend started screaming and the whole place banged their head in motion. First time EVER they played it here in the US of A. Not one metal head in the joint was standing still. Even my passed out friends woke up for this. This was the highlight of their set. It was a dedication to their late bass player. They played "One" and I sang my heart out. Same with "Master Of Puppets", "Blackened", took a gay gay moment for "Nothing Else Matters," then I went nuts again for "Enter Sandman". Lights went off. They came back and invited all the bands on stage like they did in Europe. This time instead of only having Dave of Slayer, Kerry King decided to join the fun. Sadly no Tom Araya but still a step further. They played "Am I Evil" then left the happy moment. Metallica eneded with "Hit The Lights" and "Seek and Destroy". Now I know why Metallica fuckin owns heavy metal. I left happy, tired, dead,and went to McDonads. It was a show I will never fuckin forget.

Set:
Creeping Death
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fuel
Ride The Lightning
Fade to Black
Cyanide
All Nightmare Long
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Orion
One
Master of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
-----------------------
Am I Evil? w/ Big 4
Hit The Lights
Seek & Destroy



Fucking Metallica

2 comments:

T.Church said...

Holy cheese cake Santo! You put "So What" in that Metallica set, and it's a perfect night. GREAT review, Turtlex... That's why you are the Master of the Mosh!!

TurtlexBoy said...

Yeah,I was hoping for that or a Misfit cover. Mainly Whiplash but im still a happy camper