Saturday, November 17, 2018

BFD BOOKSHELF

Reading is, of course, one of life's greatest pleasures. We here at BFD HQ have a thing for the written word. I like words in all the different platforms that they are presented. Books, magazines, zines, newspapers, blogs, comic books,candy wrappers, cryptic post-it notes left on truck stop urinals, and yes, even the profound words of wisdom found scrawled on the bathroom stalls of the seedy bar on the corner. It's all a real blast and I figure you must agree because your reading something right now. Or maybe your having it read to you, but either way, if you get a kick out of lit then you may enjoy a few of the things that have found their way to my mailbox.



First off is a zine from some group of Pagans. It has Asatru Apothecary emblazoned on the front and back cover so maybe that's how these folks identify themselves, but I'm not sure. Anyway before SPRING OF WYRD arrived I had it imagined it to be some tome about a bunch of guys telling how to mix up some psychoactive brews and twisted tales of what these concoctions can do to ya. I envisioned deranged stories of tripping bad asses on hallucinatory quests through the concrete landscapes morphing into hellish, dark alleys of the Interzone while doing battle with goblins, demons, strange creatures and Catholics. I'm not sure why my imagination built the thing up that way but that wasn't what I got. Rather this zine is a rather serious take on the historical mythology( or is it mythical history) of meads, ambrosia's or whatnot. It's really kind of scholarly and yes there are recipes, so if your inclined to get hold of the ingredients( some of which are Henbane seeds, dried Yarrow, etc.) you could whip yourself up a batch of outlaw ale and maybe embark on some shamanic vision quest and better your life a little in the process. Who knows. This is an interesting read and I'm thinking these guys take it all pretty seriously. I might actually drink a couple of beers with these guys. Maybe.

Next up I got three issues of THE ROCK N' ROLL HORROR ZINE edited by one Ben Fitts. There is a fourth issue out I think so if your so inclined you may want to check it out. the premise of this is spelled out for you in the title. Rock n roll horror fiction. Not bad really. I haven't read all of the stories yet but you get stuff about cursed guitar peddles, killer musicians (as in they actually kill people), and other such stuff. Some of it is kind of Twighlight Zonish in ways or at least is making the attempt. I don't know that I would call what I've read so far amaturish but some might. I don't know, but one of the thing I like about this zine (and zines in general) is that it can feel like it's someone telling you a story over beer and tacos. there's something kind of one on one personal about it.

They take submissions so you could send them your own spooky rock n roll tale and why shouldn't you. I think you'd get a copy of the zine to give to yer mom and maybe something else. Again contact 'em and find out for yourself. As far as getting these things you should check out places like Etsy, Ebay, and other online places that sell zines. When I tried to link the websites it kept coming telling me it couldn't be reached so go find the stuff for yourself. It's out there and it ain't that hard. Besides it'll build character.





Last but certainly not least is the complete bound collection of DENIM DELINQUENT. One of those great rock n roll fanzines from the 70s.


This is chock full o great stuff. That gonzo, amateur approach to rock writing which basically beat the hell out of a lot of the pro mags. Edited by Jymn Parrett and lots of contributors some of whom you may know and others you may not, this thing delivers. The thing about mags like this isn't that it's about rock n roll, it is rock n roll. Lots of Seeds, Kinks, and Stooges worship. This kind of thing existed, exists, because of that obsessive, burning drive to get something of your own out there. If the pros won't cover what you want; go out there and cover it yourself with your own style and own language, and screw it if you ain't as slick or don't have the production values of the biggies, because that's never been the point anyway. It's rock n roll presented as a high energy, youth gultcher, seedy affair. Reading this is the same thing as playing one of your fave records and what's more is that you can do both at the same time. Get it at HoZac records and I  mean get it.



R.I.P. STAN LEE

There's not much to be said that hasn't already been said about this guy. I know there's been a lot of controversy about how much the guy wrote and credit given for and taken for things and all that, and I don't know enough to really comment much, and don't want to go there anyway. What I will say as whatever the case, this guy was involved the creation of an epic 20th century pop mythology. I find Marvel comics pretty much a pile of crap these days; but in the 60s and 70s, and even in to the early 80s this stuff was vital to me, and goes along way into reflecting the weird world that exists inside of my head. I learned to read because of a Spider-Man comic book. I would actually go as far as to say that reading Spider-Man was possibly my first psychedelic experience. So for whatever part he played in the creation and perpetuation of Marvel comics I am honestly and eternally grateful. NUFF SAID!

No comments: